Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review: Fountain pen Revolution and Serwex pen

Just before Christmas, there was a Tweet floating around about almost-free fountain pens. As I knew Father Christmas was getting me ink, and I wanted to try out drawing in fountain pen and ink, I of course very interested.

All I had to do was 'like' the Facebook page for Fountain Pen Revolution Facebook page and they would ship a pen for $2.50!

I sent them an email to make sure this amazing deal would be available to people in the UK too, and within half an hour I got a lovely reply back from Kevin Thiemann- he was more than happy to ship to the UK! So I kept my fingers crossed for smooth shipping and waited patiently for the sillocone grease and syringes I had ordered on Ebay so I could fill the fountain pen without having to worry about it leaking.



The Serwex Special 101 arrived pre-greased, which was very nice of them, and I had no problem filling it, but for some reason, it was difficult to get the ink to flow after not using the pen for even as little as a few minutes.

I mentioned this to Leslie and she explained to me how some pens have 'breathing holes' in the cap. Sure enough, my pen had one too. This can cause the nib to dry out, making it more difficult for the ink to start flowing when you first start to write or draw. Her tip: put some wax in it.

It worked! I now have no problems getting the ink to flow, even if I haven't used the pen for a couple of hours.


Here's the first two page spread I did using the Serwex fountain pen:



Even though it took me a while to fall in love with my Serwex fountain pen, I do love it now and have used it for all my drawings since. And Fountain Pen Revolution gets my vote too. They are an American family-run business in India, The shipping was incredibly quick, communication was perfect (so important when you have a few questions and a company actually replies!) and their website says ' Join the revolution and declare independence from overpriced fountain pens!' Can't go wrong there! ;)

Please make sure you check out their Facebook page as they keep coming up with great deals you don't want to miss out on.

2 comments:

  1. Hoi Eveline, ziet er goed uit die pagina. Wat voor inkt gebruik je? Kan je een vulpen daar gewoon mee vullen?
    Dank je,
    Estelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dank je wel Estelle. Ik heb nu calligraphy inkt gebruikt, geen idee eigenlijk of dat wel zo goed is voor een vulpen maar dat was wat ik nu in huis heb.

    Het vullen was wel een gedoe, er zit geen druppelaar bij dus ik moest aan de slag met een (naaldloze!) spuit, maar dat werkte wel.

    ReplyDelete